• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

dietery supplements

asecin

Bluelighter
i was wondering who controls and inspects dietery supplements ? it seems there is no control like when it comes to food or drugs. so whats the deal ? a lot of supplements are contaminated and a lot of them have ingredients not listed on label and its fine until someone reports damage and its too late !
i made several such threads and no good answer to this so far.
in the last thread people argued thats a good thing because capitalism works in such way, whatever doesnt work loses money. but what about when the damage is done already ? even if they pull out certain products, that wont fix much and the whole story repeats next month or so :\

guys from what dietery supplement manufacture do you usually buy and know that its safe and that it works ?

what about USP verification ? does this even work, or help in any way ?

I think it is important to get supplements from a reputable source. The health food store folk recommend AOR brand supplements. The seem to be good quality and the combinations of herbs/vitamins they use tend to be based on research rather than random. But this is in Canada I don't know what's around you. Some brands are sold only to natural health practictioners, if you can speak to somebody in the field then they can probably recommend something for you.

It also depends what particular product you are looking for of course..

I'm in the US... Spring Valley brand is fairly low cost and has been verified by independent lab tests to be pure and the correct stated dose. I use their Omega 3 fish oil, Q-Sorb CoQ10, and Billberry extract.

For multi vits or B complex, I really like Megafood brand... can be taken on an empty stomach, no 'burping them up', low dose but high bioavailability. check their website out.